I'm ready to get some sleep, so let's just cover highlights from today. Kay? Good. =)
We got to split the day between checking water filters in the town above San Andres, working in the clinic, and teaching English to sixth graders in the school at Patanatic. The little boys who were taking us to the houses that had filters told me my skin was white, laughed at my spanish and tstujil (spelling???) pronunciation, wondered why my hair is so short, and asked why everyone in los estados unidos estan altos (why people in the US are so tall). I can only imagine that they were basing this on the people they have met from the US, including me. Now, seeing as I am a whopping 5 feet, 4 inches tall, that's quite a compliment. The really interesting part was that before I could figure out how to answer in spanish, they asked if it was because we have lots of fruits and vegetables to eat. Wow. Our Moms weren't kidding when they said we need to eat all of our fruits and vegetables if we want to grow big and strong. How amazing that these boys know that. I wish I could've given them a giant field of vegetables so they could eat as much as they like to grow as tall as they want (although, if they're anything like certain 12-year-olds that I know, they might not eat more than a couple bites before deciding the extra height isn't worth the pain of stomaching the vegetables).
In the clinic, I was in charge of vitals signs, dispensing meds, and organizing and putting away the new meds. It was a busy afternoon but was good practice for tomorrow. They said we'll have almost twice the patients we saw yesterday (which is also waaay more than what we saw today).
Funny side note--I have already found myself thinking through things in Spanish even when I am alone. Which is great! But something that was even funnier to me...as I read Lander's e-mail, I read it like it was from someone who speaks English as a second language. I kept reminding myself to NOT read it with a Spanish accent but to read it just as he wrote it. I guess my brain got tired of going back and forth today!
If you are praying for me, thank you! Please pray that God's love will just pour out of my pores and that I will be able to serve in whatever way necessary, not just by using my nursing skills. Thanks a ton!
<3
I recognize that 12 year old :-)
ReplyDeleteWe are missing you Katie! Reading about that twelve old reminded me of a certain person I know. ;)
ReplyDelete